In our temporary housing house, there’s a gas fireplace. This isn’t something we have a lot of experience with (our old house had a wood fireplace, but we moved out of there almost a year ago). Because it’s been so long since Dragonfly has really been around fire, he was a bit careless and accidentally touched the glass in front of the fire. I was right there, but you know kids – they go from fine to injured before you have a chance to even move and save them. I picked him up and got his hand under cold water immediately, and we kept ice on it for a long time after that, and it looked like it was going to be okay. There was no redness or anything. Fast forward two days, and it was very red. One more day after that, and it had blistered up (nearly his entire pinky finger was affected) and was full of liquid. At this point, I took him right to the urgent care clinic (because it was a Sunday). While we were there waiting for the doctor, the blister popped and left a puddle on the floor. The doctor came in shortly thereafter and cut away the dead skin and put a burn dressing on his little hand. Now it’s been a few more days, and while I think he’ll have quite the scar when he’s done healing, he is in fact healing. And we (Dragonfly as well as the rest of us) are being much more careful around that hearth!
We took the boys to one of the local malls on New Year’s Eve, just to get out of the house for a little while. The big kids had some Christmas money (neither ended up getting anything that day), and the little kids just like to be in exciting places.
We didn’t end up spending a lot of money that day (those are the best trips to the mall, yes?), but we did get the little kids each a ride on the indoor Ferris wheel. There were only three kids riding at that time (my two boys plus one little girl), so the boys had to be split up into separate carriages. I was a little nervous letting Dragonfly ride essentially all by himself, but he did great. He was super excited about being up there, and he behaved perfectly. I needn’t have been worried.
Earlier this week, the bigger boys had ballet rehearsal (they’re gearing up for a performance next weekend). The ballet studio we use is pretty far from where we’re living right now (we’ll be moving closer mid to late summer), so I stay in town while they’re at class. This week, I took the two little boys to the park while we were waiting. They had loads of fun, but the funniest thing was Dragonfly. We brought a sippy cup of water for him because it was really hot that day, and every time he came down the slide, I asked him if he wanted me to hold his cup. He would pull it away from me and say “Mine!” (although when he says it, it sounds more like “Mah!”) and then head up the stairs again, tightly clutching his cup. He was so cute climbing and sliding with that cup held so close. 🙂
Have a great weekend!
The past few weeks have been crazy for us. About six weeks ago, our landlord told us he was selling our house, so we had to move. It’s been a frenzy of making plans and packing boxes since then, but we’ll finally settle into our new normal next week.
In the meantime, here’s a brief update on what’s been going on.
The contractors that the landlord hired to replace the siding on the house cut our internet line, and the internet provider wasn’t terribly concerned with getting a tech to the house in a timely manner, so we canceled our service – hence the lack of activity here this week.
Will was tired of replacing our cheap Android phones every few months, so he upgraded us both to an iPhone 7. Our new service also came with an iPad apiece, so we’ve had fun learning the new system.
Here are a few funny pictures that we’ve taken using the new iPad.
Have a wonderful, Christ-centered Easter!